Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Purgatory

I glared back through the 'brown' specked glass at a cloud of billowing dust which streaked through haphazard tarmac of the dilapidated highway. All this because I could not bear the sight of a dizzy woman regurgitating her day before dinner. At the short glimpse i had i could make out undigested pieces of fish. That was repulsive enough for my senses to go into overload. My brother turned around and watched my reaction ending his analysis with a sadistic chuckle. The waft of odor almost hit me before i got up and walked over to the adjoining aisle of seats.
Trying to force my mind to flush out some of the vivid and grotesque flashback of the past five minutes, I gazed out of the window. It helped, as the panorama was awe inspiring. The cool humid wind on my face and aroma of salty water and sand with small whiff of palm trees and scented Deodars was enough. The water was emerald green and the sky azure. My chariot was a semi rusted red box with wheels attached to a muddy shaft connected a 1978 Tata 6 cylinder 4 valve Diesel engine which seemed years beyond its acceptable date of retirement. Yet it negotiated the twisting roads with comfortable ease, pacing an acceptable 40 Km/h on the average. The sun was bright over the western sky exactly opposite to the direction in which i was trying to look and exactly in the direction of the stream of stomach fluids which were dripping onto the seat. In front of me was my brother half asleep and once in a while woken up by the fierce jerks of our caravan wagon.

It was the second day of my trip to the "Emerald isles". The Andaman and Nicobar islands are small group of islands very close to Malaysia and a part of India. I was in South Andaman journeying my way to an exotic place called Chidiyatapu. I somehow sensed and anticipated great unpredictability in our journey. But thats what excited me. Somehow I told myself after a very stomach churning experience that my adventures are just beginning, and some how knowing my destination would rob the very element of my expedition to this wonderful place. Comforted by this truth i continued to gaze wishing i had a computer in front of me so i could tell my tale and my current surge of thoughts through a blog at that very instant. My renditions would help people understand one thing about great travelers:

" The greatest journey, adventure or travel is one in which you have the least idea of its outcome."

Wisdom from a fool .... :)

2 comments:

Ranjana said...

Superb!
Incidentally, this is something I identify with as well, and I was talking about it very recently..
"Life is exciting only when you're clueless about whats next".
:)

Ajay Ravichandran said...

Great descriptive stuff, your hold on the grammar is really good...and as Mark Twain once said:

"I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them"

What was ur opinion about all the people you met during this mesmerizing journey?